In today’s Prestige Dentistry post, we are going to share some quirky dental facts that may surprise you. If you’re interested in general or cosmetic dentistry in Palm Harbor, call us today at (727) 789-1980 and we’ll answer any question you have.
Quirky Dental Facts
- Many dental patients are aware that before there was formal dental training and licensing, barbers often performed dental procedures. But did you know that blacksmiths also moonlighted as dentists?1 How would you like your dental visit to involve tools also used to hammer hot metal?
- The Mayans were accomplished cosmetic dentists. One popular smile makeover in Mayan culture was bejeweled teeth – a procedure that involved the drilling of holes to embed precious gems. That’s a grill with major bling!
- The average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime. That is enough to fill up two swimming pools. Not a very pleasant image, right?
- Nylon toothbrush bristles weren’t introduced until 1938. Prior to that, pig hair was a common bristle material. Can you even imagine what that would smell like?
- A popular toothache treatment in medieval Germany was to kiss a donkey. Obviously, there is no evidence that it actually worked. You have to wonder though, what do you think they did when a donkey had a toothache?
- Every person’s tongue is unique – just like a fingerprint. Can you imagine going to the police station and having your tongue print taken?
- In medieval Japan, black teeth were considered appealing. Style-conscious women used roots to stain their teeth black.
We hope you enjoyed all these quirky dental facts. At Prestige Dentistry, you won’t find blacksmiths or barbers taking a look at your smile. You will find exceptional dental care and our friendly team of dental professionals. Our menu of services includes sedation dentistry, restorative dentistry, and One-Visit Dental Crowns. Contact Prestige Dentistry today at (727) 789-1980 to schedule an informative consultation.
Contact Prestige Dentistry: